Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Go figure. All the effort I put into trying to make these posts as insightful/cerebral/touching as I possibly can, the one that gets the most response is the one in which I'm admitting that I'm not trying to be insightful/cerebral/touching at all. Maybe I should go back to being a sportswriter.

(There were only three posts following the last entry, which is a pretty sad number to get excited over, not to mention two of them were from the same person. Refer to the going back to being a sportswriter line.)

Ah, but fuck it. This just proves that I'm not alone! College football brings most grown men to their knees, now matter how "intellectual" they try to convince themselves they are

Ahhhh, I love it!

To answer Duke...No, I don't have any credit cards you can borrow. And even if I did let you "borrow" them, the most the balance on them would allow you buy would be two tacos and mega mug at the Caddyshack. However, I would like to get my hands on one of those Dale Earnhardt jackets. You see those Facebook pictures with Arvell Nelson wearing one? What, is NASCAR apparel en vogue with thug fashion these days? Good god. Shit's come full circle. Next they'll be wearing Carhartt. Oh, wait...

RE: 7-5. Eric, where's your faith?

There's no such thing as a "guaranteed" win in college football, but there is such a thing as winning games you're supposed to, and I think there's 8-10 of those games on this schedule. The Big Ten is down this year (Michigan made that glaringly obvious), and while everybody is tabbing OSU and Wisc. as the No. 2-3 teams, I'm not sold. OSU loses lots on both sides of the ball, and Wisconsin didn't play anybody except an overrated Arkansas late in the season last year. Bielema is good, but he's not that good yet. That team will hit some road bumps this year, I guarantee it. Winning in the Big Ten isn't suppose to look that easy. And if you guys claim to know anything about Iowa football, you know we play historically well against Wisconsin both at home and away (except when Ron Dane is about to break an NCAA record).

This team will win no fewer than eight games, and could win as many, if not more, than 10. If they play tough and smart (like they haven't the last two years), they'll beat Indiana (tough for them to regroup after their coach's death) and Northwestern (these piss ants' two-year run is up). If Zook couldn't win with talent at Florida, how the hell is he going to do it at Illinois? With new head coaches, Minnesota and Michigan State are a couple years away from being formidable. I'm not even sure Minn's new coach knows who Floyd of Rosedale is. Purdue doesn't have shit coming back, and it's beginning to look like Joe Tiller is slowing getting as goofy as Lee Corso.

Penn State in Happy Valley could be the biggest struggle of the year.

And does anybody remember what happened the last time we played Western Michigan? Look it up. I'd back off the "guaranteed" talk around that one.

As for ISU, they could lose by 50 points to TJ and still find a way to give the Hawks a fit. I hate to admit it, but it's true.

I've been playing the old PS2 version of NCAA. Yeah, it never really changes. But then again, it never really needs to change as long as dipshits like us still dole out $50 for the new version ever year regardless.

2 Comments:

At 3:00 PM, Blogger duke said...

Grandest,

Clearly, you know your shit when it comes to Hawkeye football. It's almost like you worked for the DI or something. Good call on the Western Mich. game, though I would hope by that point in the season we'll be coming off of a strong game with Floyd in our clutches. I think the fact that it's at home will overcome the late-season Motor City Bowl doldrums. "No fewer than eight wins" sounds good, but I watched this team get paid back for all the luck of the previous five years last season. Here's hoping that's over with.

I hope that you continue to write more about your Chicago experiences. While I find anything hawk-related interesting, it's clear that you put just as much thought and effort into your other posts. Of course, a few football related posts never hurt---especially when the Hawkeyes come to your town. Seriously though, don't ever talk about Rex Grossman again. How a Super Bowl caliber team can rest their hopes on an ex-Florida fumble machine is beyond me. Maybe they'll draft Tim Teabag in a couple years, assuming he has time enough to play in the pros what with his preaching (he converted 200 prisoners!).

Go Hawks!

 
At 10:14 PM, Blogger eric said...

My knowledge of Hawkeye football only dates back to 2001, before that, I'm clueless. I still think every game will be entertaining because the Hawks, unlike Killer Keller (JK), won't be able to light people up offensively. Smash-mouth football at it's finest. I counted Wisc as one of the seven teams the Hawks will beat--they could beat any run-oriented team in the Big Ten. I worry about the teams that spread the field and have mobile quarterbacks. I've set the bar too high for the Hawks for the last couple years, hopefully they can walk right over my bar this year. I found a web site that predicts W. Mich will actually be the closest games for the Hawks this season.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home