Wednesday, August 29, 2007

It's always difficult for me to focus on intellectual things this time of year. Why? Because it's college football season.

There's perhaps nothing else in this world that reverts me back to my unsophisticated 18-year-old ways with more ease than college football. Tonight I sat around my apartment watching ESPN's 24-hour countdown to the season's kickoff (yeah, that's right, a day-long pregame show...only on ESPN) on the big TV while playing NCAA College Football on the Playstation 2 I rigged up to the tiny auxiliary set.

That's a move taken straight out of the play book from my sophomore year of college. Pretty pathetic for a 28-year-old.

I've spent most of my days this week reading every story related to Iowa Hawkeye football I could find on the internet, all while also listening to all the Hawk-related podcasts I could find (I found only two on itunes, and they're both pretty amateurish, but I'm so starved for commentary at this point I'd probably still listen if it were a couple of 12-year-olds discussing how sweet it is that Iowa wears Nike uniforms.)

The fact that I get to take the Red Line to an Iowa game this year has made me almost catatonic with excitement. I'm so pumped for this Saturday's game at Soldier Field I don't want to do anything from now until then for fear that something tragic will happen that will prevent me from being able to attend it. Like getting hit by a car, shot in the leg or being abducted and tortured by fans from opposing Big Ten schools (or worse, Nebraska fans).

So forgive me if this blog is a little less cerebral, or even sparsely updated over the next couple weeks.

I'm busy being a jock again.

3 Comments:

At 12:34 PM, Blogger duke said...

Best column ever. Don't apologize for being a meathead.

Got any credit cards I can "borrow"?

 
At 1:15 PM, Blogger eric said...

Dude, yep, same fucking problem. I sold my PS2 a couple years ago, but it hurts like hell to not have it around this time of year. I got rid of it because I was disenchanted by the NCAA Football game and I felt like I wasn't expanding my mind adequately enough--too many wasted hours playing video games and not enough time thumbing through paperbacks. But EA kept releasing the same fucking game every year! Anyway, I decided that I needed to part ways with the pacifier, even though I spent most of my college years playing NCAA Football on PS2 (I remember every fucking July/August I'd lock myself in my room and play that game until Christmas!). BUT, I'll be damned if I didn't just go to fucking MegaMart to play NCAA Football on XBox 360 the other day. The graphics are improved, yes, but it still feels like the same game. I played Madden, too, and it seemed like that game had taken a few steps backward. Besides, if I log too much time behind the paddle, I start feeling guilty. Fantasy sports are for the kid in us all, but they don't even come close to running a no-name university up to the big leagues or taking Iowa out on the 10th year of a three loss dynasty. But the flaws of the game are just amplified at the Heisman level. Ugh.

Anyway, GO Hawks! 7-5. Just where they should be. No more of this Big Ten championship shit, please. Haha. Guaranteed wins: ISU & Western Michigan. Everything else is up in the air... which should make for a pretty exciting season... even with this seemingly easy schedule.

 
At 12:15 AM, Blogger duke said...

Michigan blew their season---this is good. Now they just need to spoil OSU's season, and Iowa gets a chance to sneak in. I'll agree with Eric (mostly) and say there's only one guaranteed one win---W. Mich. ISU is always a dogfight, especially in Ames.

Indiana is my sleeper pick in the Big Ten---they fucking wrecked Iowa last year with a ragtag bunch of freshmen and sophomores.

Regarding gaming systems, I've heard that Madden/NCAA on the Wii is incredible. Personally, I'm still playing NCAA '06 on PS2. As Eric says, it's the same damn game every year. Why buy the new one every summer when you can stay a year behind and pick it up for twenty bucks? Shit, I think you can even get a PS2 for like $120 these days. Or, just meet Eric at the MegaLo-Mart and play all night. Split the cost of the beef jerky.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home