Monday, July 16, 2007

Pitchfork

Of course, I went to it this weekend, like every other hipster/wanna be hipster/person who just likes indie music who lives in the Chicago area. I'll have a lengthy review a did for a magazine in town up later in the week.

My sentiments of it from this year were pretty much as they were last year: It was by-and-large a good time. Sunday was packed with bands I dig (Of Montreal, Junior Boys, The Sea and Cake, De La Soul). I was too fucked up to really pay any critical attention to what was going on Friday night and Saturday was pretty blah (partly due to the previous night's fucked up-ness). Maybe I'm just getting older, but attending a music festival not hungover is really the way to go.

The best part about it was that I had a press pass all weekend and didn't have to pay for shit — beer included. This is truly the way to experience concerts. No lines for the porta-potties, plenty of breathing room and access so close to the stage you can almost smell the musicians.

Of course, this will all make it more difficult for me to go back to being a prole at Lollapalooza in a couple weeks.

My only main gripe about Pfork is the crowd. Nobody really seemed to be having that much fun (except for maybe De La and Girl Talk). Only the really young kids were getting excited. There were too many jaded hipsters that just walked around looking bored the whole time (or maybe that was just the folks back in the VIP section). Hanging out at Pitchfork is kind of like hanging out at a really trendy dive bar: You feel cool being there, and the aesthetics are always interesting, but everybody's so uptight in trying look the part that nobody lets their hair down and actually enjoys themselves.

Oh, well. Maybe I'll reach some level of transcendence at Lolla.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home